The origins of the two Liverpool & District Colts golf tournaments are more properly set out in the History Section of this Website but, suffice to say, it all started in November 1933 when the then Captain of Royal Liverpool (RLGC) called a meeting of representatives of Formby, RLGC, Wallasey and West Lancs to discuss the formulation of an “American-style” scratch Matchplay Tournament involving young men or “Colts” of a limited age.
This was approved and the event began in the Spring of 1934 with Clubs then within a 21 mile radius of Liverpool Town Hall being invited to participate.
As the years went by and to reflect the increasing trend towards medal play, it was felt a Club team strokeplay tournament should also be introduced and this started in 1979 under the auspices of RLGC member, Bill Renison, who had been involved in the running of the original matchplay competition since its inception in 1934 ! Unsurprisingly, the new tournament was called the Bill Renison Trophies.
Times and format, of course, change and both competitions are now mixed gender.
The Clubs invited to participate each year are essentially those within the footprint of the Society of Liverpool Golf Captains which provides a generous element of sponsorship. These number 27.
The venues for both the matchplay Finals Day and the Bill Renison Trophies revolve over the years through all the participating Clubs. Competition entry forms are sent out annually in early January.